Cowboys, cardboard boxes, and beach bozos

“When we last saw our superhero…”

The past few days whizzed by so quickly that I can hardly believe that it’s Sunday today.  When I started this post on Friday night I dreaded having to get up from the sofa to go to bed.  To go anywhere in fact.  My entire body felt like a blob of goo, completely without structure.  Just there.  It was that kind of week.

Let’s go back to Tuesday.  D and I picked up our rental car — an Opel Zafira (isn’t that a worthy name for two superheroes?) — from the rental agency on Tuesday afternoon.  Ikea shopping list in hand, off we went to Toulon.  The drive was uneventful and we arrived there pretty much as per our schedule.  Then the fun started.  I’m serious.  We headed to the libre service area where the large furniture items are located.  With our carts at the ready I directed D to the first item:  aisle 1, place 1.  Check.  On and on it went and 30 minutes later we were done.  We headed to the check out lanes and the mother-daughter pair that we beat to the shortest line were not happy to come in second.  Yeah, well, perhaps they should have worn their superhero capes too!

After loading our Zafira D and I made the trek back to Nice.  We had packed dinner for the drive and we scarfed this down before arriving at the apartment.  It took us a few trips on the elevator to get everything upstairs to the apartment.  That’s when the real work started.

I have to tell you that I was cursing Ikea by 1 am the next morning.  The apartment was hot as we had to close the windows to prevent the hammering sounds from carrying throughout the building.  I was sick and tired of Ikea and their little wooden dowels and silly wordless drawings.  (Note: I love Ikea but wasn’t giving them any love after putting together 3 bookcases!)

We stopped work around 2 am mainly because we couldn’t continue hammering dowels in the middle of the night.  Construction resumed 5 hours later on Wednesday morning.  Tired, irritable (I was the irritable one), and hungry, we had everything put together and books, clothes, and knick-knacks finally found a home.  Of course, the trip to Ikea meant more boxes so D made two quick trips to the décheterie (dump) et voilà, instant organization!

We arrived at the airport on time (read: a couple of minutes late) to meet K.  I was so happy to see him.  I didn’t realize how emotional it would be to meet him at the airport.  (Yes, I’m a softie.)  Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday were busy days.  We dined at Cours Saleya; we went to Cagnes and Cannes; we took a walk around Monaco and ogled the yachts in the port; we sat on the beach; we chatted, we drank, and we were merry.  A good time was had by all!

K at dinner in Cours Saleya

Some people have nice digs (eh Albert?)

 We dropped K at the airport on Friday afternoon after a late lunch.  I was sad to see him go but, as I will be in Toronto in a week or so, I know we’ll get together at least once during that visit.  (I haven’t said much about the wedding in recent weeks because the move has been so all-consuming.  Yes, our wedding day is less than 1 month away!)

After leaving K at the airport we raced back to town to 1) put gas in the car and 2) drop off the car.  As the rental agency is close to the Promenade des Anglais we decided to hit the beach too.  I didn’t venture in but D said the water was warm (it was 26 degrees) with lots of strong waves.

Tennis anyone?

We also attracted a beach tennis match and a family of beach bozos too.  Oh, you know the type.  They’re the people who, no matter how much space there is on the beach, sit right next to you or right in front of you.  And I mean right there.  So close, in fact, that they could be part of your group.  Yup, we had one family do exactly that.  They sat down, all 5 of them, almost on top of D’s beach mat.  The father of the group then proceeded to change from his shorts to his banana hammock swimsuit.  He barely had a grasp of his towel as he made the change and I (and the two daughters) were witness to his ‘boy parts” bobbing in the breeze.  They say sharing is caring; that was just too much caring for me.

The beach tennis happened just before the bozos showed up.  Two guys decided to play right in front of me.  It didn’t matter that there was about 20 metres of empty beach behind me.  Oh no, they had to play in front, by the sea, where everyone could see them.  Yup.  They were pros.

But now it’s Sunday and things at home are starting to settle down.  As usual, we had our brekkie on the terrace.  There we sat with our mugs of coffee, a baguette, and la mamie’s jam…and our pistols.  It’s like the wild, wild west here.  Okay, they’re water pistols but we’re having fun gunning down the pigeons brave enough to venture our way.  There are two brave/silly pigeons who think we’re joking and they get it straight in the eye.  D is the Butch Cassidy to my Sundance Kid.  We may upgrade to a pump-action water gun…

D and I spoke with les parents last night and it was only then that I realized that we leave on Friday.  We’ll be away for 4 weeks!  We head to Coustellet on Friday and I leave for Toronto on Tuesday.  D arrives in Toronto on Friday and it will be a race to the finish line altar!

It’ll be nice to be in Toronto again and to see my family and friends, but I’m already looking forward to coming back home to Nice.

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: settling in

Author:Tanya in Transition

I am a woman in transition. I left my job of 13 years to find happiness and France!

Follow me

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

3 Comments on “Cowboys, cardboard boxes, and beach bozos”

  1. August 31, 2010 at 9:40 AM #

    Wow wow wow, you’ve been busy! And I thought my trip to the beach this weekend was a major outing 🙂
    Well, I really can’t believe you got the Ikea shopping done in one go…let alone putting the furniture together..I’d be cursing the Ikea gods myself at about 2am 🙂
    Glad you had some time for fun too…the photos are really nice, Monaco looks super luxurious…maybe in another lifetime, eh?
    Looking forward to wedding updates! xx

    • September 1, 2010 at 12:38 PM #

      Lol!! I can’t believe it either but that’s just how it goes with us. We had our list so we knew where to go in the store. It was dead easy in fact. The worse part was the assembly part. Curses! I tell you, I hated Ikea with a huge passion that night but now, I’m feeling the love again! 🙂

      Monaco is lovely but we didn’t get to spend loads of time there. Every time I’ve been there it’s been after sunset. Still, the boats/yachts are goregous.

      Wedding updates…ah yes, there’ll be updates soon. It seems for far away but in 24 days…dun dun duunnnn! Single life is over (officially)! 🙂


  1. A Taste of Garlic » Tanya in Transition - September 6, 2010

    […] to Lock herself out of her Apartment (she pretends that she did it on purpose but I know better!), buys water pistols so as to have fun gunning down the pigeons brave enough to venture her way and listens to The Name […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: